Use Cal’s Butter Bean In Your Oxtail Dish And See What Happens.
This recipe is an authentic Jamaican dish that goes really well with rice, peas and cornbread. Oxtail is a dish that’s popular around the world, but especially in the Caribbean region.
This Jamaican Oxtail dish starts with the meat being intensely marinated in a variety of spicy spices. It is then braised before simmering for an equally tasty succulent sauce to mix with.
Using Cal’s Butter Bean (or Broad Bean) will add a depth of flavor and aroma to your Oxtail dish that will have you drooling for more.
STEP 1: Clean the Oxtails
- Wash with lime juice or lemon juice to the bowl.
- Rub each piece of the oxtails to remove any unwanted elements and cut off any excess fat.
- Rinse the oxtails and make sure all the remaining liquids are completely drained.
STEP 2: Season the Oxtails
- Season the oxtails in a bowl with the following: salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, ginger powder, allspice, dried thyme leaves, soya sauce, and browning.
- Rub the seasoning into the meat by hand or in a large bowl with a fork.
- Prepare the fresh seasonings (onion, garlic, ginger, thyme, tomato, scotch bonnet pepper, bell pepper/scallion/pimento seeds), then divide them into half.
- For the oxtails: Add half of the fresh herbs and spices and rub well
- Keep the remaining half of the fresh seasoning until later on in the cooking process
- Cover the seasoned oxtails and let it marinate for 5 – 7 hours depending on how tender the meat is
STEP 3: Cooking the Oxtails (Using Stovetop)
- To cook the Oxtail you will need a deep pot. Add the Coconut Oil then heat for 1 min.
- Add the Oxtail to and lat is brown for 5-10 mins
- Once the surfaces of both sides of the oxtails have browned, pour the water into your pot, stir and let it cook covered for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add enough water to cover the meat. Cover and cook on high heat for 2 – 3 hours while stirring every so often (Even 8 – 10 mins).
- Add water to the pot, as necessary, to ensure it doesn’t dry up. Taste a small piece of meat over the next hour or so and add more time if necessary. If you’re not happy with the tenderness, cook it longer but be careful not to overcook it.
STEP 4: The Best Part. It is Time to Make the Oxtail Gravy
- When the oxtails are fully cooked (tender), add, ketchup (or 1-2 tbsp. brown sugar) and the remaining portion of chopped fresh herbs.
- Use Cal’s Canned Broad or Butter Beans. Drain the beans of the liquid and add in the beans to the pot. The Cal’s Broad or Butter Beans will cause your Oxtail dish to have a lot more body and a mouth-watering taste.
- Slow cook the oxtails for 10 – 15 minutes. Check the gravy after or near the halfway mark. The desired consistency should be clear and have little to no flavor from onions or garlic.
- If the gravy is too thin, leave it uncovered for a little while it can get thicker.
Now you are all done. It is time to enjoy some authentic Jamaican Oxtail dish. That is how you can use Cal’s products to nice up your kitchen.
Get the most out of Cal’s Products by checking our product page.